I spent the morning going around Smithville Lake looking for rare loons. None were found, but that may be more a reflection of this birder's skill than the likelihood that there are none present.

There were 12-15 Common Loons near the dam. Matt Gearheart and Mark Land found a couple of Horned Grebes also this morning near the dam, but they were missed by me. One Ross' Goose was found in the large raft of ducks on the main part of the lake.

In the Crows Creek area, near the west electric campsites, I found 6 Greater Yellowlegs. Also seen were 13 Western Sandpipers; a flock of approximately 35 peeps that wouldn't settle was seen flying in and out of the coves. Several Great Blue Herons and few Killdeer were seen in the same general area.

A group of 26 Wild Turkeys and a buck with a nice rack were bonuses in the Crows Creek area. Otherwise, it was a blustery, windy day with the expected species.

Steve Bingham
Kansas City, MO