Dear MOBirders:

Attached is the updated table for the Challenge Of Missouri Annual List (COMAL) results as of September 30. My apologies for its lateness and if your new numbers aren't included. I've had computer difficulties and believe I may have lost some of your emails in the process. If you send me your missing/lost data I will further update this table and repost new end of September results in about a week.

September was a month of numbers again rising after the small gains for most birders during July and August. As several of you noted, it is now getting harder to find those new birds. On September 23 Josh Uffman, who had just been to Smithville Reservoir with Joe Eads, wrote: "Sabines Gull was a bonus bird, so that definitely helps out. It is not going to be easy though [to reach his goal of 300 in 2003]. I am going to attempt to find the Nelson's Sharp Tailed again on Saturday.....This is one of my can not miss birds." By September 30 Josh was writing "Tim Barksdale HIT 300 in October of his big year in 1991. Sabines Gull was 300 for him!"
Joe Eades wrote: "On 9/30 I had 281 on my Missouri 2003 year list. Just FYI...I am doing a St. Louis Area Big Year as well. I am at 275 on that list. I also want 300 COMAL this year. I hate to admit it and I'm not going to stop going 100%, but I think I am going to fall short by a sickeningly slight margin. This year has made me a much better birder. It is so cool to be out in the field so much that you see everything as it begins to show up and increase in numbers. Except for my knee grinding away, I am having the time of my life!!!"

Patrick Harrison has been extremely busy with his teaching activities, his editing of The Bluebird, and his webmastering of the MOBirds.org website. But, he is still engaged in reaching his 300 COMAL target, too.

Yes, there has been a great deal of collaboration among the top COMAL leaders. They are regularly in touch with each other. Each has manipulated data from years past to create strategies to enable them to find Missouri's difficult to locate wild bird species. Each is talking with each other, sharing sighting locations, habitat details, and transportation. Tim Barksdale, our long term COMAL superhero leader, has been coaching and answering questions from wherever he is in the world at the moment. To me, this is the benefit of COMAL ... for all of us ... that we're sharing information and helping others find birds.

Jean Leonatti and Mike Warnock, past COMAL leaders, have both been heard to comment that now is when COMAL pressures begin to escalate, when the miles begin to add up on the car odometer, and when every free moment needs to be spent afield. Like Joe wrote, they, too, had fun but are finding birding has more relaxation when you're not trying for 300 COMAL birds.

Let's all help Josh, Joe and Patrick reach COMAL bird #300 in 2003.

COMAL 2003

NAME

CITY

DATE

# SPECIES SEEN

Kathleen Anderson

Columbia

09/30/03

232

Jim Arl

Eureka

07/31/03

212

Lisa Berger

Springfield

09/02/03

245

Judy Bergmann

Silva

08/01/03

186

Charley Burwick

Springfield

08/03/03

246

Will Chatfield-Taylor

Johnson County, KS

06/30/03

129

Frances Cramer

St. Joseph

Bean Lake Cabin

05/31/03

05/31/03

153

77

Steve Dilks

Linn

05/31/03

236

Anne Downing

Edina

09/30/03

239

Kyle Driggers

Liberty

06/30/03

259

Barb Duncan

Jefferson City

09/30/03

163

Joe Eades

St. Louis

09/30/03

281

Susan Eaton

Kirkwood

09/30/03

192

Bob Fisher

Independence

09/30/03

237

Matt Gearheart

Overland Park, KS

09/30/03

209

Patrick Harrison

Shelbyville

09/30/03

284

Rhonda Harrison

Shelbyville

06/07/03

123

Donald Hays

Union

07/01/03

184

Susan Hazelwood

Columbia

09/30/03

247

Bonnie Heidy

Columbia

05/01/03

141

Larry Herbert

Joplin

06/30/03

166

Jan Horton

Springfield

08/31/03

166

Gareth (Gary) Johnson

Kansas City

08/03/03

230

Scott Johnston

Jefferson City

09/30/03

163

Steven Juhlin

Sullivan (soon to be Cape Girardeau)

06/02/03

195

Leslie Keith Koller

Sikeston

06/30/03

157

Larry Lade

St. Joseph

09/30/03

255

Bob Lewis

Farmington

09/03/03

229

Pat Lueders

Webster Groves

09/30/03

242

Jim Malone

Chesterfield

08/31/03

268

Gale March

Macon

05/02/03

119

Kim March

Macon

05/02/03

123

Nicholas March

Macon

05/02/03

118

Rachel March

Macon

05/02/03

120

Kristi Mayo

Kearney

09/30/03

237

Lynn Miller

Lone Jack

08/06/03

125

Terry L. Miller

Kearney

04/30/03

121

JoAnn Moroz

Lee's Summit

09/30/03

256

Pete Moroz

Lee's Summit

09/30/03

254

Maggie & John Mundhenk

Bellflower

01/31/03

28

Adam Nisbett

St. James

08/31/03

167

Mike Niles

Kearney

04/30/03

132

Stephen Painter

Kansas City

09/30/03

144

Robert Partridge

Kearney

05/01/03

103

Ralph Pike

Overland Park, KS

04/01/03

57

Debra Fortenberry Priest

Hannibal

08/31/03

90

Jim Rathert

Jefferson City

08/31/03

229

Bill Reeves

Farmington

06/02/03

220

Brandon Routh

St. Joseph

04/30/03

191

Lee Kraft-Schiffel

Columbia

09/30/03

239

Chris Snook

Columbia

04/25/03

136

Josh Uffman

Ferguson

09/30/03

285

Nancy VandenBrink

Springfield

08/02/03

152

Denise Vultee

Columbia

07/31/03

145

Edge Wade

Columbia

09/30/03

244

Mike Warnock

Columbia

09/30/03

254

Clare Wheeler

Lake Ozark

06/30/03

138

Doug Willis

Farmington

01/31/03

91

 Susan Hazelwood, Columbia, MO, [log in to unmask]