On November 14 Buzz Thompson, Gene McDonald and I followed up the Fulvous Whistling-Ducks report by Joe Eads.  We found at least 17 ducks in the Dexter rice fields of Stoddard County.  Repeating the directions: "From CC going south...turn south...turn left and drive down 754 a quarter mile or so, there is a ditch where they settled in north of 754 (to the left)."

We spooked them before getting a good look.  The flew directly over 754 and landed south and slightly west of 754 about 500 yards.  We drove down a tractor road in the middle of the field and found them again on a small ditch near some metal tanks where we made positive identification.

From there we went to Otter Slough.  Along with lots of duck (mainly Pintails) and large sandpipers, we spotted the Avocet and Phalarope.  The lone Avocet and Red-necked Phalarope were located on Pool 31 of the Otter Slough Conservation Area in Stoddard County.  Our observation point was between pool 29 and 31 on a levee between the two pools from a gravel road on the west side of the pools.

Buzz Thompson returned to Otter Slough yesterday (Oct. 15).  The Red-necked Phalarope was not found, but Black-necked Stilts were present along with Common Snipe, Franklin's Gull and 7 species of Ducks.  Also Snowy Egret.

 Posted by Susan Hazelwood, [log in to unmask] for Dennis Wheeler