I just spent about an hour checking out Smithville Lake (Clay Co.) from
behind the Litton Center, the north end of the dam, and at the Camp Branch Marina.
Nothing earth shattering, but it was nice to get out into the dew-soaked
morning. There was a large raft (1000s) of Franklin's Gulls and duck sp. in the
center of the lake, but I didn't have the time to find a good vantage point to
scope them carefully. At the point of rocks off of the Camp Branch Marina there
were a few hundred FRANKLIN'S GULLS, along with one AMERICAN AVOCET, one
BONAPARTE'S GULL, and a GREATER YELLOWLEGS was heard.

Also, when birding the lake Saturday (10/18) I found a flock of AMERICAN
PIPITS at the south end of the dam. A walk along the new trail near Camp Branch
turned up big flocks of CHIPPING SPARROWS and one VESPER SPARROW, plus a few
juncos.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)