Field trip highlights for Saturday, 18 October were:

1 Merlin south of Montrose patiently sat on a fence post next to the
highway as we photographed it.

3 Cattle Egrets on a farm pond south of Montrose.

6-8 LeConte's Sparrows at Taberville Prairie below the parking lot
alongside 'H', and just east of the stream bed.

2 Grasshopper Sparrows.

Hundreds of Savannah Sparrows.

1-2 Marsh Wrens south of Montrose.

We walked the 'Sprague's Pipit field' on the St. Clair / Henry County
line south of Montrose, but flushed none.  In fact, the field was nearly
devoid of bird life . . .

Schell-Osage was closed for the year, and our feeble attempt at
'poaching' was met with an equally feeble number of birds.

In all, a beautiful day, albeit a little windy, with mixed success on
the birding-front.

Chris Hobbs

---