I have also had mixed results with pishing LeConte's and Sharp-tailed.  I think it works better with the former, but that could be my limited experience.  They are both hard to see at the best of times.  I did not have any luck at parking lot 3 last week, but did have at least one Sharp-tailed in the high wet area in the parking field at Horseshoe.  One thing with these birds is that they usually to not like very tall grass, although that is just is well since they would be impossible see there anyway.

David Becher
St. Louis
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Charlene and Jim Malone
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 6:51 PM
  Subject: Re: how to find LeConte sparrows.

  To add a bit to what Mike Brady said.....I have been told by the likes of
  Dan Kassebaum and others to look in fields with lots of Foxtail for
  LeConte's.
  IL - Bend Road historically has been productive and has some fields of
  Foxtail.
  MO - At Busch have found some fields with Foxtail near Hampton lake and
  across from Lake 15. Have NOT stomped through them to see what is there.

  For SHARP-TAILED SPARROWS at Carlyle Lake,  Dan K suggested looking in
  Japanese millet that does NOT have water underneath but next to water.  The
  birds HATE the water and will avoid those stands of millet in standing
  water.
  Do not know what kind of plants people have been finding the S-Ts amongst at
  LCCL.

  Re: Attracting these sparrows
  Mike, have you tried "kissing your hand" noises or anything like that?
  Dog squeak toy has worked with other sparrows but have never tried it with
  Ammondramus species.
  Just wondering.

  Good sparrow finding,
  Charlene Malone