I do agree w/ what the biologist stated.  I have known quite a few birders that
take our passion up as a hobby to fulfill a list, remember when it was chic to
have your child on Ritlin?  Maybe an extreme example, but the point holds.
People will pick up the 'sport of the moment' simply to say, "yes, I birded."

Some of those that I knew were even biologists/seasonal workers in the
environmental field.  Most of us are smart enough to know the difference, and
can truly see the forest for the trees.

Lynn miller
Lone Jack,MO
Jackson CO