Hummingbirds left my feeders maybe a week ago. I thought they are
ready to cross Gulf of Mexico by now. How surprised I was yesterday
to see them nearby, foraging on the sap.
I didn't know the Hummers abuse sapsuckers also on the way south.
Why is sap better then 20% sugar? Is it richer? Do the stacked  insects
in sap make a difference? Or maybe it just  tests better.
Other Sapsucker-abusers at Lakewood Park Cemetery and
surroundings in Saint Louis:

Yellow-rumped W (100+)
Nashville W (25+)
Tennessee (20+)
N Parula (2)
Cape May W (2); beautiful bird even in fall
Clay-colored S (1)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (5-10)

other migrants seen:

Black-throated Green (2)