From: "Robert Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2003 6:21 PM
Subject: Smithville Lake 10/4; Sabine's Gull NOT

After taking my daughter to the airport, I did a quick tour of Smithville
Lake just after daybreak. Some boats were already out, but a large flock of
Franklin's Gulls was still roosting in the center of the lake. (I'm not good
at estimating Franklin's Gull flocks, but I'm guessing at least 10,000,
maybe more). When I got over to the picnick area, a speedboat put them up.
It is possible that I missed a Sabines in that large a number, but I doubt
it. Sabine's usually stay close to the water, and I believe I'd have seen it
if one were there. The Sabine's Gulls are probably gone.

Most of the Caspian Terns have evidently left also, but I did see two. I saw
one Bonaparte's Gull.

Quite a few coots and Pied-billed Grebes have come in, together with a few
ducks (Pintail, Gadawll, Ruddy). There were still a couple of Ospreys
hanging around. I saw one small flock of shorebirds flying by. They lacked
prominent wing stripes and were not the Red Phalaropes I was looking for.
Probably Leasts or Westerns.

I think the best days at Smithville are yet to come this year.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri