He concentrated on the man actually named Ramon Fernandez, writer, literary critic and scholar of French and Mexican literature from the early part of the 20th century. At two or three points after he wrote "The Idea of Order at Key West" Stevens responded to questions about whether he intended the poem to point to the actual Ramon Fernandez. He replied by saying he definitely did not intend the connection, so much so that Leon Surette seemed to be implying that it was a case of protesting too much. It was definitely a humorous point in the paper. As far as I can recall, he didn't discuss any other candidates. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Cheers,
Will