Thanks for getting us back to Eliot.
What a breath of fresh air.

Best wishes,
Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/17/03 03:19PM >>>

La Figlia che Piange

            O quam te memorem virgo*

STAND on the highest pavement of the stair*
Lean on a garden urn*
Weave, weave the sunlight in your hair*
Clasp your flowers to you with a pained surprise*
Fling them to the ground and turn
With a fugitive resentment in your eyes:
But weave, weave the sunlight in your hair.

So I would have had him leave,
So I would have had her stand and grieve,
So he would have left
As the soul leaves the body torn and bruised,
As the mind deserts the body it has used.
I should find
Some way incomparably light and deft,
Some way we both should understand,
Simple and faithless as a smile and shake of the hand.

She turned away, but with the autumn weather
Compelled my imagination many days,
Many days and many hours:
Her hair over her arms and her arms full of flowers.
And I wonder how they should have been together!
I should have lost a gesture and a pose.
Sometimes these cogitations still amaze
The troubled midnight and the noonıs repose.

   T.S. Eliot (18881965).
   Prufrock and Other Observations.  1917.