am 16.10.2003 21:01 Uhr schrieb Peter Montgomery  unter [log in to unmask]:

Lord, make us instruments of your peace.

We are left empty and trembling at the level of confidence placed in the power of violent weapons and the level of arrogance thay have inspired in our national leadership.  But you have taught us, Lord, that arrogance is ignorance matured and "what we sow, also we reap", so Lord, make us instruments of your peace.

Descend with us into the depths of our powerlessness and fear and awaken the power of non-violent transformation as we discover your fire for the second time!

Then, Lord, let the light and heat from that fire make every thought, every word, and every deed a reflection of loving non-violent resistance to every wretched form of violence so that we may be made worthy of the long promised blessing reserved for the Peacemakers and for those who show mercy.

Lord, make us non-violent instruments of your peace, so that we may lift up the world and all its people to a place where the heart is without fear and the head is held high, where knowledge is free; where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic calls; where words come out from the depth of truth; where tireless striving stretches its arms toward perfection; where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sands of dead habit; where the mind is led forward by Thee into ever widening thought and action -- into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake!

Thank you, Peter,

for sharing this beautiful poem/prayer.
It has made me think of  the first stanza of Kipling's  "Recessional":

"God of our fathers, known of old,
Lord of our  far-flung battle line,
Beneath whose awful hands we hold
Dominion over palm and pine --
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget, lest  we forget."

It sometimes seems to me  that the US of A has forgotten the lesson of the demise of the British Empire.
They have forgotten or never understood what Mahatma Ghandi tried to teach us.
Someone once said that those who ignore the lessons of history are forced to repeat it  ... lest we forget!

Salaam:

Gunnar