Nancy,
    I for one am not outraged at your comments.
    In my limited experience of him, Eliot seems more interested in Christianity than Christ -- which by your definition and mine seems to disqualify him from the title.
    In a way I understand what you are trying to say about his behaving this way all along. Perhaps it can be understood that Christianity (at least the Anglican variety, which has almost always been more formal than personal, unfortunately) encompassed a set of directions he was already going. It's really hard to tell if he could really be classified as a Christian or not, something I'm interested in giving more study to.
    Have you come across anything from Eliot that clarifies your thoughts on this?

Best wishes,
Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/06/03 05:41PM >>>
OK, now I will draw on my head vituperation and vilification, but I see
nothing "Christian" in Eliot either, only posturing that did not require
him to behave any differently in any respect than he wanted or
always had.  It did not require of him goodness or generosity or
kindness or love of his neighbor or loyalty to those who loved him or
anything presumably called for by the originator of Christianity.

At least Jesse Jackson seems to try to act on his faith, however he
may fail to fulfill all expectations--which I do not deny.  But his belief
does seem to call for some kind of lived change.

I expect outrage.
Nancy