From: Sara Trevisan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 9:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Prufrock's smoke and Inferno canto XV

> While we are on the subject of Italian.  could you give me a full
expositon
> of Eliot's dedication of TWL to Ezra Pound.  My limited Italian dictionary
> would have one think that Pound was the greater blacksmith.

In modern Italian, 'fabbro' does mean 'blacksmith'. Yet, Dante used the term
in the Latin sense (< faber, fabri) of 'artisan', 'artificer' -- but not
'author', since in Dante's writings that term is derived from 'augeo' which
means 'to increase, to elevate'. Thus, an author 'elevates' the matter he
deals with. As you know, Eliot got the quotation from Purgatorio, XXVI,
l.117 -- Dante is talking with Gu
ido Guinizelli, who points at Arnaut Daniel (famous poet who wrote in the
trobar clus obscure style), who is close to him, saying that "fu il miglior
fabbro del parlar materno".  'Parlar materno', according to Dante's ideas,
was the tongue one would learn from his mother (lingua d'oc, as far as
Arnaut is concerned), and not through grammatical studies (that is, Latin
studies). Dante is referring to his own growth as a poet -- he began first
by imitating trobar leu (the Sicilian poetic school, Guittone d'Arezzo),
then he passed to the Stilnovistic tradition (with Guinizelli), to the 'rime
petrose' and finally to the imitation of trobar clus (Bertrand de Bohr,
Sordello, Folchetto and most of all Arnaut Daniel).
Dante considered Arnaut an artisan of poetry, always looking for new
expressions, always experimenting with new expressions. Indeed, Arnaut wrote
love poetry in the Proven├žal, French and Italian vulgar languages. Eliot
might have conceived Pound as the artisan of TWL -- although, here's what I
found on the web... http://www.nybooks.com/articles/5626

Best regards,
Sara