I am surprised no one has challenged Nancy's statement appearing below, as it irreconilable with Nazi ideology and with Hitler's recorded intentions for Christianity in his "new world order."  (Sorry I can't quote chapter and verse, which I realize would be useful; but then, if I could cite Hitler chapter and verse, I should be sorrier still.)

As a leader seeking to control an overwhelmingly Christian population, largely through anti-communist propaganda (which lent itself to religious appeals), Hitler authorized statements designed to create the impression that he "stood for Christianity" against the "godless bolsheviks".  That is quite different than saying that he actually "imagined himself standing for Christianity."  This latter proposition appears without basis; rather, there is considerable evidence that he intended to destroy and supplant Christianity with his own religious (or quasi-religious) ideas.

Tom K