Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Fine. I still think the poem itself is so hard boiled
> into print that it might as well be cast in stone.

Two points -- one on the poem and one on eggs.

I never myself thought highly of this poem, & perhaps that is what you
mean by hardboiled? But hardboiled or an immortal classic, there is
still the point made by the initial subject line (however confusing
originally), TSE wrote this, hence it would seem an object that posters
to this list migh comment on. I gave it a try in my last post, and given
the meaning of "cooking egg" Richard has now confirmed, how are we to
describe the relationship between title and text? Does someone have
something better than what I offered off the top of my head?

On eggs. The distinction between "fresh" and "cooking" (however
labelled) still holds I suspect despite the coming of refrigeration. I
tried off and on for almost 50 years to emulate my grandmother's fried
eggs, and finally decided that the secret lay only secondarily in her
superior skill and primarily in that she probably used eggs gathered
just before she cooked them. She was able to soft fry _but still break
the yolk_ of eggs. By the time today's "fresh eggs" reach one through
the supermarket the the whole egg spreads too rapidly when placed in the
pan, and the yolk runs (and hardens) if you break it.

Carrol