I didn't know that the conferences were held in St. Louis.  I've actually
been to the Midwest only one time, to St. Louis.  It was four or so years
back.
We took a flight from Fort Myers, Florida to St. Louis to catch a flight to
Paris.  Unfortunately, we didn't get on the plane to Paris.  We were on my
sister's tickets (she worked for TWA at the time; now she works for American)
which
means standby, but this particular flight they overbooked by 50 not counting
standbys so they offered everyone a free flight the next morning to NY to
catch a jumbo jet to Paris, which meant that we spent the night in St. Louis.
 We
booked a room at a hotel near the airport but ordered a taxi and requested
that he take us to a good Italian restaurant, as we heard that St. Louis had
great Italian food. Our baggage had been sent on to NY to our connecting
flight so
I was wearing casual clothes, black jeans as I recall and a Florida like top
and my husband also casual, but the manager of this rather elegant restaurant
insisted we dine there anyway.  The food was so good, almost as good as
Boston. And then we went next door to a Jazz club.  We were having such a
good time
that we had to force ourselves to leave to go back to the hotel, knowing that
we had to be at the airport early.  I always wanted to go back to spend a few
days.  I don't know if I'll be able to get to London next year for the
conference, but the next time it's held in St. Louis, I'll definitely try to
attend.

In a message dated 10/28/03 9:16:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,

[log in to unmask] writes:
<< Kate,
    The conference has been held in St. Louis (his birthplace) every late
September (usually the weekend closest to his birthday) most every year since
1980. I've only been this year and last, though I plan to go as often as
possible
in the future, but I do know they have met in New England before, and visited
the Dry Salvages. As I said in an earlier post, next year the meeting will be
in England (mainly London), with visits to the other 3 of the FQ sites.
Here's a link to the society webpage, if you're interested: >>