Peter Montgomery wrote:

> If they are the sodomites, does that not mean they are there because they
> refused hospitality to strangers as in the original situation?

No. Until "homosexual" and "heterosexual" got coined in the late 19th
century "Sodomite" always meant someone who had committed an act of
sodomy (anal intercourse, with either a woman or another man). It
referred to committing the act, however, not to a whole "life style" or
"identity." There was no such thing as "gay behavior" until the 20th
century.

(I've just summarized quite crudely several 10s of thousands of pages of
scholarship.)

Carrol