Carrol

As I said my suspicion is unproven however Boris' limited Egyptian
translations seem to dovetail suspiciously well with his father-in-law's
work and then seem to just end after attracting Pound's attention.

I am not sure that Boris *mastered* hieroglyphic.  He only did 2 works of
translation, this one and "Massime delgi Antichi Egiziani" which was
published in 1959.  Neither of his publications are referenced by
Egyptologists at all.  In fact, as far as Egyptologists are concerned it is
as if he didn't exist.  Pound will occasionally be acknowledged but not
Boris.  Furthermore, his translations differ markedly from authoritative
translations and moreover they differ in ways that a *master* of
hieroglyphic would not have had them differ.  They are very "Poundian"
translations.  They are designed to bring the author back to life in another
language.  This was unusual in the extreme for mid-twentieth century
Egyptian translation which tends to the technical bringing over of word for
word.

Boris'  "Liriche Amorose" translations deals with love lyrics much like
those Pound worked with in his Cavalcanti translations.  This would have
appealed directly to the ego of Pound.

His  "Massime" translations deals with the precepts of some Egyptian great
and wise men.  Pound was always on the look out for quotes from great men
that supported what Pound believed.  In this case the precepts (as Boris
translates them) emphasize that certain men can control fate and make their
own heavens.

Boris does not translate any of the other famous stories which one would
expect from a serious translator of Egyptian such as "The Tale of Sinuhe",
"The tale of the Eloquent Peasant" or "The Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor".
None of these tales would have attracted Pound's attention.  They did not
support Pound's work.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM