Steve Pollack wrote:

> "I should find some way" to do what?

To have shown that she was not hurt at all by the breakup.  That is to
say that in the real breakup she didn't do so well and showed that she
was hurt more than the man was.  Somewhat like Dido and Aeneas in
life.  The female narrator wished to have shown less pain, as in the
stage direction and more like Dido in the underworld.  Less of the
weeping of the statue of the title and more of the stony glare?

> Also, in the final stanza, how do you read the line, "I should have
> lost a gesture and a pose"?

That I'm sure I can't come up with an answer that you would accept
(maybe the pose
but I also don't think that it would kill the idea that the could
could be read ambiguously as spoken by either the man or the woman.

Remember that I wrote:

> although the narrator ("I") most strongly appeared to be the male
> character it could also be the female character

I'm wondering if Eliot didn't do this on purpose.  If so, it wasn't
done perfectly and probably not even well.  Still, to me, it brings to
mind some of the later ambiguity of TWL, particularly the Hyacinth
garden scene which may even allude back to "La Figlia che Piange"

Regards,
    Rick Parker