Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Hot and Cool have to do with perception.
> A consistent thread in McLuhan's work since his thesis
> on Thomas Nash and the breakdown of medieval education
> is the effect of media on perception.
>
> Some media present a complete perceptual package.
> Others present key pointers and leave the reader

Thanks, I'd been wracking my brains to remember something of the books
I'd read about 40 years ago. You don't mention (and I can't remember)
whether he classified print as hot or cool -- I would assume cool.
(Print leaves much to the reader's imaging powers.) But in any case, one
can't speak of a given text as either cool or hot, because that depends
_not_ on the content of the text but on the fact that it is a text
rather than a speech or a gesture or a movie.

But that isn't right either -- because now I remember that manuscript
and print are different media, but I can't remember which is hot and
which is coool.

Carrol