Carrol Cox wrote:

>"Sometimes counsel take, and sometimes tea." The reader has to supply
>the 'other' meaning of "take."
>
>I don't know whether this should really be called "audience
>participation" though.

Dear Carrol,
    I understand that, but doesn't the reader have to notice, for
example, enjambment and _supply_ the correct sort of pause or holding up
of the line.  I don't see zeugma as special in that regard.  Like you, I
am not sure about "audience participation," though I think I take its
meaning.  But I do wonder if Will has something else in mind?  Was it,
perhaps, a figure that was written about by 18th writers in a special
way?  Youth wants to know and so do I.

Thanks,
Marcia