am 07.10.2003 17:40 Uhr schrieb Richard Seddon  unter [log in to unmask]:

> And, less we forget

"The tumult and the shouting dies,
The captains and the kings depart,
Still stands thine ancient sacrifice:
An humble and a contrite heart.
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget, lest we forget."

Years ago, there was a cartoon in the New Yorker (I guess they call 'em
*drawings*), depicting a cleaning woman entering a chaotic and empty
conference room with overturned chairs, flip charts and ashtrays, merrily
reciting the first two lines of Kipling's famous "Recessional".

Somehow the point of the cartoon irritated me -- why should the idea of a
cleaning woman knowing poetry be so absurd?

However, it had prompted me to memorize the poem and to read David Gilmour's
"The Long Recessional", an excellent biography and an instructive read with
lots of insight into the decline of the British Empire.

Cheers:

Gunnar

P.S.
B.t.w., my dear Rick:
I was amused by your using Sen. Hillary Rodham C. as a crown witness for
Saddam's weapons of (m)ass destruction... ;-)