In a message dated 10/6/2003 5:26:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> ...I could substitute the "Reverend" Jesse Jackson here and repeat my above
> Pat Robertson diatribe, but instead I'll ask, dear listers, do you recall
> when Jesse baptized Mike Tyson a few years ago? My, wasn't that a "life
> transforming" conversion? It only served to transform Mike into as the Bible would
> say, "twofold the child of hell that he was in the first place."

And thus we come to the problem in the country.  As shortsighted and
unacceptable as many of the Republicans' policies and doctrines are,  there is
probably not currently a Democratic candidate for President who would be able to
defeat the current President; it's not that some of their policies aren't a good
deal better; it's that they present themselves and act as the Republicans do in
too many unappealing ways, i.e. name calling and pandering to special
interest groups.  And in some doctrines, being too extreme the other way so that the
majority of Americans would be turned off and, in fact, nervous, and thus the
status quo would appear to be the better option.