Nancy Gish wrote:

> Dear Carrol,
>
> Excuse me, I think I follow all of this but one point:  what is
> "Christian" about either Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson?  (except, of
> course, their own self labeling)

Christianity, like other cultural and/or ideological practices,
incorporates radically different and/or antagonistic histories, and one
needs to honor such in any extended consideration. (The next sentence
would be more precise had I a better memory for proper names.) But were
one to draw a line from (say) Bishop Romero to Pat Robinson, it would be
difficult, I think, to find a nodal point at which X turned into Not-X
(and of course there would be raging battles over which direction the
line was moving in). Hence it seems to me best to define Christianity
ostensively: It consists of the total mishmash of ideas and attitudes
ever held by anyone who called her/himself Christian. One can then make
distinctions (or allow for battles) within that territory.

> Oh yes, and it is two words:  Waste Land.  In this case, I do not
> think it is pedantry but genuinely different implacations.

I agree. In fact, it's rather intriguing to play around with the
different stresses in speaking (silently) the two phrases, "the waste
land" and "the wasteland."

Carrol