Date sent:              Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:26:52 -0700
From:                   Jacqueline Pollard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Common perceptions ?
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Dear list,
I have been wondering of late about TSE's reputation.
Certainly it has been pretty degraded, but I'm hoping that there will
be
an upswing. Do you see this happening?

What do you see as the conventional wisdom on TSE?

After all of the critiques aimed at his dead white male-ness, what do
we
do? Do we simply stop reading texts written by "bad" people?  We
know that
he was (possibly)a misogynist, an anti-Semite, a devout Christian,
an
alcoholic smoker, etc.etc. But--to be brief--so what?

Best to all,
Jacque