Date sent:              Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:41:44 -0600
From:                   Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                OT New York Times
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Dear List

I visited the NY Times log in page.  A most interesting page given
the set
of assumption revealed by their questions.  An example, poverty
evidently
starts at $20,000 and "riches" at $150,000 and everyone must have
a job
"title".  The job of unskilled labor (my best hope for employment
today)
doesn't exist.  Agriculture is an industry not a life choice and has no
job titles.  I guess either a cabbie, an airline pilot or longshoreman is
a skilled laborer in the transportation industry.  There seems to be
no
need at all for labor union organizers.  In the New York Times dream
world
there is no bureaucrat.  How can a person who wants employment (a job
title) but can't find one login with the New York Times?   Finally one can
be a homemaker but the homeless have no place in the New York Times data
base.  An applicant for  access must have a Zip Code.  Non US residents??

My overall impression is that the New York Times world is made up of white
collar, large city urbanites being paid between $20,000 and $150.000 to go
to work 9-5 in an office building.

Finally the grandest  and most unforgivable mistake of all.  A Naval
Officer has no choice but to join the Military (Army/Air Force) and become
a Military Officer.  The New York Times has not even considered that our
proud enlisted soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines might want access.

When the Naval Officer has swallowed his pride and become a Military
Officer what does he use for a job title?  The New York Times managed
urban world has no place for "Leaders".

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM