Dear Richard,

Eliot's claim to a unified poem belies what he wrote in bits and
pieces before, in my opinion.  I am aware of what he said, but he
was "composing"; it was not written as one poem in the way the
fifth section was.  My point is that I am not basing my reading on
his claims.  Also, if you are interested in what structures are there,
that was a "or the" major focus of most of the early critical studies.
But they have not been seen to hold up by everyone who reads it
now.

Nancy