I think you would find it interesting--if you have not done so--to
read about the composition of the poem.  What was long seen as
its structure, based on a "mythic method" analogous to Eliot's
reading of Ulysses, really only appears in any "coherent" way in
section V.  That was written in one outpouring at Lauzanne when
he was being treated by Vittoz.  The other parts were written at
many different times over many years and "composed" into
something:  I agree that it is not into a unified voice or structure.
But it does have patterns.
Nancy

On 2 Oct 2003, at 10:01, Richard Seddon