I remember it as an article in a periodical.
Cheers,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Seddon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 7:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: magic

Dear List

Grover Smith on page 88 of his "The Waste Land" refers to a publication of
TSE's that I have been unable to find.  It is "The Interpretation of
Primitive Ritual".

I have checked Gallup with no luck but may have missed it.

I think it a real possibility that it is a chapter or subject heading in
some larger work.

I would much appreciate a pointer to a TSE work where he discusses primitive
ritual.

Here is the what Grover Smith had to say:

"All such rites, for Frazer, originated as fertility magic; his evidence is
so overwhelming (*The Golden Bough* in its third and final edition runs to
twelve large volumes) that one tends to ignore, as Eliot in 'The
Interpretation of Primitive Ritual' did not, the mystery of how magic was
invented".

BTW: Smith exaggerates the size of the original Frazer volumes, some of
which are fairly narrow, even so,  the resultant shelf space of all 12 is
very impressive.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM