From: Sara Trevisan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 2:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Prufrock's smoke and Inferno canto XV

Great question, indeed... :-)
Well, the middle of Italy, as Geography says, is right halfway between the
two... You see, the Northern part of middle Italy kind of follows the
Northern Italy habits, whereas other parts (such as Umbria, Marche, Abruzzo,
Lazio) are closer to Southern Italy.
Nevertheless -- I've often been in central Italy for both study and holiday,
and they're much closer to the Roman style (with Roman I mean typical of
Rome nowadays). I think such regions as Tuscany, Marche, Umbria were
strongly influenced by Rome and the Church State, which possessed them all
for centuries. Someone there will still tell you (as I happened to be told
in Marche) that they've always been the land of Popes (for most popes since
the Middle Ages had been bred in Marche: see Celestine V). Central Italy is
closer to Southern Italy as for their humour, kindness and their fantastic
way of taking it easy in life. I love that, because it's like a medicine for
the soul.
Anyway -- going back to promenades -- in Central Italy it's much like in
Southern Italy. People mostly have walks in the medieval town centres and
form groups and have a chat in the streets. The bar meetings are more
typical of Northern Italy (I guess it might also be due to the colder
weather?)
Sorry for this Herodotus--like digression upon Italian costume and habits!
Best regards,
Sara Trevisan