Why does it matter?
-----Original Message-----
From: Jacqueline Pollard [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 6:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Common perceptions ?

Dear list,
I have been wondering of late about TSE's reputation.
Certainly it has been pretty degraded, but I'm hoping that there will be an upswing. Do you see this happening?

What do you see as the conventional wisdom on TSE?

After all of the critiques aimed at his dead white male-ness, what do we do? Do we simply stop reading texts written by "bad" people?  We know that he was (possibly)a misogynist, an anti-Semite, a devout Christian, an alcoholic smoker, etc.etc. But--to be brief--so what?

Best to all,
Jacque