From: Nancy Gish - Women's Studies [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 3:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ot Re: Martin Sheen's Peace Prayer

There are two separate issues I think.  One's response to the
prayer is one thing, the possibility of violence doing good is
another.  I think the very ancient and carefully thought-out concept
of "just war" is valid.  I do not think Iraq fit the criteria in any way.
But in fact, all human society has acknowledged that violence in
defense of self or others can be valid.  So unless one is going to
say that it is ok to look on while someone or many people are
murdered and do nothing, one is forced to grant that it is more
complex than a total rejection of violence.  To do nothing in the
face of violence is itself a collusion in and support of violence, is it
not?
Nancy