From: Tom Gray [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

When I read that McLuhan who much admired hot
individual study and opinions was a great admirer of
TSE, I was puzzled and so I asked the question about
TWL as a cool poem. How could a hot intellect like
McLuhan and a cool poet such as TSE be associated?
McLuhan was first, and perhaps foremost an English teacher,
and a very fine ine at that. His central focus
included the Vorticists as a group (Pound, Eliot, Wyndham Lewis).
He also was very much attached to Yeats and Joyce for many of
the same reasons. He used to alternate between those 5
for his graduate seminar, because he could never make
up his mind which one he liked most.

I think he wound up giving most attention to Joyce,
esp FINEGANS WAKE, where he found the most challenge.
Given his breadth and depth of development, the others
were relatively transparent to him.

Cheers,
Peter