--- Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There was a real feeling in _The Medium is the
> Message_ that wht the
> writer (or the radio speaker) is saying doesn't
> really make much
> difference. A reading of The Waste Land over the
> radio would carry the
> same message as the commercial that followed the
> reading and the
> newscast that followed that, while the text of The
> Waste Land that you
> have before you would carry the same message as any
> romance off the drug
> store shelves.

I don't recall getting that impression from "The
Medium is the Message'. My impression was that the
effect of the medium created the intellectual
conditions that would tend to determine (i.e. afford)
the type of content that it provided. So printed books
and especially the printed Bible affected what would
be written about religion. Printed books created the
conditions for universal education and so created the
poltical conditions that dictate the content of
printed books.

This does not imply that content is meaningless. Far
from it, content is still paarmount but content is in
part determined by the technological milieu in which
it is created.