From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 4:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Question about 'La Figlia che Piange'

In a message dated 10/1/03 3:56:18 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I was carefully looking at "La Figlia che Piange" and although the
>  narrator ("I") most strongly appeared to be the male character it
>  could also be the female character (or am I crazy?)  In that case
>  it may not be that she was instigating the breakup but picturing it
>  as it could have taken place, in a way that did not show that she
>  felt as much pain as she did.  Any comments?
>
>  Regards,
>      Rick Parker

Rick:

If you propose a reading, you have to be able to explain how ALL the lines
of
the poem are accounted for in the reading, right? Not just some of the
lines.

What do you make of these lines:

"I should find
Some way incomparably light and deft,
Some way we both should understand,
Simple and faithless as a smile and shake of the hand. "

"I should find some way" to do what?  I can't make sense of the lines if the
"I" is the woman. If it's the man, the lines, to me, mean, "I should find
some
way to break up this relationship, like Aeneas had to do".

Also, in the final stanza, how do you read the line, "I should have lost a
gesture and a pose"? At what point in time is the narrator referring to?
WHEN
(that is, during what event) should the narrator have done this? I take it
mean, "I should have acted differently when I was actually telling her I was
leaving". How do you read it for a supposed female narrator?

-- Steve --

P.S. In keeping with the new TSE list, after you write some poetry analysis,
be sure to tell us what you think of the Palestinians, George Bush, the
California recall election, the "do-not-call" list, the Kobe Bryant case,
the
untimely death of John Ritter, Pennsylvania lowering the legal limit for
drunk
driving from 0.1 to 0.08, the lawsuits brought by the music industry against
people
who download music for free on the Internet, and the escape of "Little Joe"
(the gorilla) from that Massachusetts zoo. Personally, I don't give a shit
what
you write about any of these current events, but apparently it's the only
way
to keep a thread alive on the list these days. Oh yes, one more thing: when
you write about "Little Joe" and John Ritter, be sure to keep the thread
titled
"Re: Question about 'La Figlia che Piange'" so I won't be able to delete it
as stupidly off-topic.

Tenants of the house,
Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.