Hot and Cool have to do with perception.
A consistent thread in McLuhan's work since his thesis
on Thomas Nash and the breakdown of medieval education
is the effect of media on perception.

Some media present a complete perceptual package.
Others present key pointers and leave the reader
to fill in the rest, much as digital video does today.

The total package is HOT because it's all there.
The key pointer package is cool because of all the
  spaces for the receiver to fill in. Jazz syncopation
  is an example.

The dominant media have social effects partially through
the perceptual conditioning they effect.

Mac saw radio in WWII as hot, esp. Hitler's use of it
  (he had a lot of rhetorical training). It presented
  the reader with a perceptual package which was so
  full that it overloaded perception and created hysteria.

Mac saw TV as cool because the TV screen conditoned visual
  perception to be linear (the way the ear takes in sound)
  and interpretive (ie. filling in all the spaces between
  the dots on the screen to create the full internal percept).
  That high brain activity had a soporific and cooling down effect.
  It absorbed energy, rather than radiating it.

There are at least two schools of McLuhan interest:
   those who try to continue his work, and
   those who think he wouldn't want such continuation
      but rather would encourage new creative understandings.
The former are called McLuhanists by the latter, and the latter
are ignored by the former (so let us call the latter anti-McLuhanists).
The latest book would seem to emmenate from the anti-McLuhanists.

Cheers,
Peter