Today in preparation for the upcoming "open house" at Nodaway Valley CA (Oct
11), (This area is near Mound City), I birded the west side of the this area.
Savannah  Sparrow - many
Field Sparrow - many
NESLON'S SHARP-TAILED SPARROW  - 1 (showed well for a minute or so!)
Song Sparrow - several
White-throated Sparrow - 1
White-crowned Sparrow - 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Northern Harrier -1 (Squaw Creek)
Common Yellowthroat
Palm Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler

Added to Tommie Rogers list are:
Sandhill Crane (2) in vegetation in Cattail Pool
Sora (as I walked out to Eagle Point)
Long-billed Dowitcher (3)

Big Lake was the best area for shorebirds as there are extensive mudflats
there now.
Pectoral Sandpiper - many
Least Sandpiper - a few
Greater Yellowlegs - 5
Lesser Yellowlegs - many
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Long-billed Dowitcher - 5
American Golden Plover - 12
?Black-bellied Plover -2 (They did not fly or raise there wings during the
1/2 hour that I watched them (so was not able to determine if they had black
axillaries).  But did a "wing stretch" and showed a very distinct white area in
the wing. Also observed a white rump on one of them.)
American Avocet - 2

I also had a possible Violet-green Swallow in with the thousands of Tree and
Barn Swallows. The white on the flanks extended well up onto the rump region
on one particular bird.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County