Sara -- Excellent! -- As I'm sure you know, TSE later praised Chaucer (I think in the Clark Lectures, 1926). The chin-pin seems deliberate. I once found another similar parallel with the "Sidney/kidney" rhyme in "A Cooking Egg."  -- Jim

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Sara Trevisan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
	Sent: Wed 24-Sep-03 6:21 PM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Prufrock and Chaucer

	As I was reading Chaucer's _Canterbury Tales_, I was amazed at realising how two lines in the Monk's description in the prologue actually reminded me about Prufrock:

	And, for to festne his hood under his chin,
	He had of gold y-wrought a curious pin.

	Now then,

My morning coat, my collar mounting firmly to the chin,

My necktie rich and modest, but asserted by a simple pin—

sounds much like it to me, though Prufrock's pin is neither curious nor made of gold...

Sara --