Steve Pollack wrote:

> "Faithless" because long-term relationships are based on faith and
> trust, and the narrator is about to violate that. "Light and deft" and
> "simple" because the narrator is no Aeneas, and this breakup is not
> driven by the Gods telling him to be a founder of Rome.

No, it could be driven by the Parents telling him to come Home.

Donoghue says that "La Figlia che Piange" could have been Eliot's
attempt at a "Pure Poem" (p. 72) and not a personal poem.  Not willing
to take his word on this (but willing to take his saying 1912 was the
date of the poem) I came up with a **possible** source of the poem.

Eliot had a "romantic year" in Paris during 1910-1911.  I think that
part of the reason was that he was able to get away from his relatives
and their expectations of him.  His father was willing to foot the
bill but wanted him home so he could get a doctorate and become a
professor.

Regards,
    Rick Parker