In a message dated 9/28/03 10:26:38 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> How do you know that the narrator is the lover?

You've got my reading, so you know that I think the poem is the narrator's
attempt to compare the breakup of his actual relationship with the mythic
breakup of Dido and Aeneas. As I outlined in the post, I think the back and forth
wording of the imagined events (e.g., "would have been" ) and the actual events
(e.g., "I should find some way") are the clues the reader needs to understand
the poem's actions (and the elipsed actions).

Of course, I could be wrong. What is your reading?

-- Steve --