[log in to unmask] wrote:

> In post-Christian times, the narrator is
> saying that he has, in effect, sent his lover to Hell by abandoning her and
> causing her so much misery. By titling the poem in Italian, the post-Christian
> images of Dante and the Inferno are alluded to. Images from antiquity and
> Christianity fuse into one, 'amazing' the narrator's "troubled midnight".
>
> Comments?

How do you know that the narrator is the the lover? Not once does the
speaker use "we," and the line

        And I wonder how they should have been together!

suggests he is remembering the "almost" relationship of two
acquaintances.

I've never given a minute's thought to the poem till just now, so I
won't push the point further.

Carro