>> Dear Steve,
>>
>> reading Donoghue's "Words Alone" I also objected to his comment on that
>> specific passage.
>>
>> "As the mind deserts the body it has used" seems to me a powerful
>> intensification indeed. I'd venture that the two lines convey the same
>> meaning, but the second one is elevated onto a higher, spiritual level.
>>
>> As to your speculation on this line (the user meaning the male (ab)using
>> the
>> female body) I'm not so sure. Could it be that your interpretation might be
>> rooted in some kind of Freudian projection of guilt  ;-)?
>>
>> B.t.w.:
>> I found Donoghue's interpretation of 4Q quite remarkable. His derogatory
>> remarks on The Dry Salvages in general and specifically on such neologisms
>> as devotionless", "oceanless" or "erosionless" are perhaps too harsh, to
>> the
>> point of being irreverant.

am 24.09.2003 20:28 Uhr schrieb Zaneta Piotrowska  unter

> Dear Gunnar,
>
> I think that the person who wrote the interpretation of the Dry Salvages the
> way you described it was Donald Davie and not Donoghue.
> I happened to read that essay.  The title is:  T. S. Eliot: The End of an Era

You are mistaken,
dear Zaneta,

it was by Denis Donoghue all right (I usually remember what I've read ;-)).

"Words Alone", p. 250:

"We need not go through the poem: most of its blemishes have been noted. The
defects of "The Dry Salvages" are real and serious; where they occur, they
are the results of Eliot's failure to conduct a piece of music which he
scored for an unmanageable number of voices. (...) In the other quartets and
especially in "Little Gidding" the voices are fewer, clearly
distinguishable, and under impeccable control."

Cheers,

Gunnar