This is the Eliot quote I mentioned in an earlier post (From "Virgil and the
Christian World" (1951):

"Aeneas and Dido had to be united, and had to be separated. Aeneas did not
demur; he was obedient to his fate. But he was certainly very unhappy about it
and I think that he felt that he was behaving shamefully. For why else should
Virgil have contrived his meeting with the Shade of Dido in Hades, and the snub
that he receives? When he sees Dido he tries to excuse himself for his
betrayal. Sed me iussa deum-but I was under orders from the gods; it was a very
unpleasant decision to have imposed upon me, and I am sorry that you took it so
hard. She avoids his gaze and turns away, with a face as immobile as if it bad
been carved from flint or Marpesian rock. I have no doubt that Virgjl, when he
wrote these lines, was assuming the role of Aeneas and feeling very decidedly
a worm."

-- Steve --