Ken Armstrong wrote:

> At 11:46 AM 9/21/2003 -0400, Nancy Gish wrote:
>
>   > For most of our short history,
>
>    While US history may be relatively short, the US government is one of
> the longest continuous governments in the world. Going in it's present form
> back to the American revolution. Whereas governments in countries where we
> might commonly think of the history as going deeper than the US's may go
> back only a few decades. Italy, Germany, China, Japan, many others, etc.

Yes, no, maybe.

There is a good argument to be made that we live in the Second (or even
the Third) (U.S.) Republic. (Or possibly the Fourth, if one begins
counting with the Declaration of Independence.

The major break was of course the War of the Slavedrivers' Insurrection.

Then there was an interregnum of sorts, ending with the defeat of
Reconstruction, which closely coincided with that bizarre Supreme Court
decision that corporations counted as "people," and hence came under the
protection of the Fourteenth Amendment. Hence the Second Republic, which
we still live in.

Hence the First Repbulic lasted just 72 years. The Second Republic
(counting from say 1870) has so far lasted 130+ years.

The Athenian Democracy lasted nearly 200 years, and when it was
destroyed by Alexander (I'm closly following the language of M.I. Finley
here), it went down fighting, and those who fought that losing battle
knew what they were fighting for in a way that it has never quite been
possible to say of the U.S.

Carrol