Gunnar,

Thank you for informing this ignorant American about Silvio Berlusconi; the
US press portrays him as somewhat of a colorful character.  His sickening
and obscene comment disqualifies him from participation in Italian society.
How could such a man be elected prime minister and now sit as the European
Union Rotating President?

America is equally guilty of electing stupid and morally corrupt men to
power e.g. W and next week the "Terminator".

Last week I had the opportunity to speak with former Secretary of State
Madeleine Albright; in a very shaky voice I pleaded that our country badly
needs her.  Her response " Thank you, we are certainly in a terrible big
mess now".

Where are the statesmen?

Bob Summers

>From: Gunnar Jauch <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: OT: ADL Honors Berlusconi
>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:31:01 +0200
>
>am 29.9.03 13:38 Uhr schrieb Kate Troy unter [log in to unmask]:
>
>In a message dated 9/29/2003 6:56:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>

>Please take note of our dismay. Your award not only constitutes an insult
>the Jewish people killed by the Italian fascists during WW II, a fact that
>M. Berlusconi had literally described a short while ago as "sending them to
>a vacation abroad". It also gives respectability to a head of state bereft
>of all moral and ethical principles, an embarrassment for the Italian
>people
>as well as for the EU.
>

>I know almost nothing about Berlusconi,
>
>Small wonder -- European politics are so far away from the concern of most
>US citizens...
>
>  but I do know that an extremely high percentage of Italian Jews were
>saved
>during WWII.
>

>In 1940 Mussolini joined the war in alliance with Hitler and ordered the
>fascist army to ransack the ghettos. The confinements and deportations
>began
>in 1943. Thanks in part to the Italian population's complacent behavior and
>in spite of the government's anti-semitic policies the lives of most of
>their own Jewish citizens were spared, but many of other nationality were
>rounded up and given over to the Nazis. More Jews fled hoping to find
>shelter in the Alps, convents, and monasteries. Others, such as Franco
>Cesana, joined the partisans. After World War II, with Mussolini's defeat
>and the defeat of the Fascists, Jews were reinstated as first-class
>citizens. Many survivors left for the newly formed nation of Israel while
>others decided to stay and reconstruct their communities.
>
>(Daniel Carpi: Between Mussolini and Hitler: The Jews and the Italian
>Authorities in France and in Tunisia, Tauber Institute for the Study of
>European Jewry Series.)
>
>  But what has this Berlusconi done anyway that he is so bereft of moral
>and
>ethical principles.
>

>Berlusconi would be in jail a long time ago if he wouldn't constantly
>changed the laws according to his needs. His many convictions for tax
>evasion and other felonies have either been postponed or dismissed. The man
>is no politician, but a mobster and a stupid, callous and greedy buffoon.
>The award was given to him as a reward for licking Dubya's boots.

High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local
service providers in your area). Click here.   https://broadband.msn.com