From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 6:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Question about 'La Figlia che Piange'

This is the Eliot quote I mentioned in an earlier post (From "Virgil and the
Christian World" (1951):

"Aeneas and Dido had to be united, and had to be separated. Aeneas did not
demur; he was obedient to his fate. But he was certainly very unhappy about
it
and I think that he felt that he was behaving shamefully. For why else
should
Virgil have contrived his meeting with the Shade of Dido in Hades, and the
snub
that he receives? When he sees Dido he tries to excuse himself for his
betrayal. Sed me iussa deum-but I was under orders from the gods; it was a
very
unpleasant decision to have imposed upon me, and I am sorry that you took it
so
hard. She avoids his gaze and turns away, with a face as immobile as if it
bad
been carved from flint or Marpesian rock. I have no doubt that Virgjl, when
he
wrote these lines, was assuming the role of Aeneas and feeling very
decidedly
a worm."

-- Steve --