This may not be entirely germane but modern brain
theory links congnition and feelings (or emotion)
extremely closely. Feelings are the basis of cognition
and action in the world. There link to Eliot in this.

The book ‘The Muse in the Machine: Computerizing the
Poetry of Human Thought’ has a specific discussion of
this. He uses Eliot’s objective correlative as an
example of the linkage between emotions and cognition.
This idea is also expressed by Gerald Edelman ('A
Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes
Imagination' or 'Bright Air, Brilliant Fire: On the
Matter of the Mind'  and Antono Damassio(Descarte’s
Error).