  The "Winged Migration" event in Columbia Wed. night was a great success.

   The Lobby displays of photos, table displays and wine tasting were just the prelude to the program from on stage featuring Ralph Duren and the local falconer (sorry, can't recall his name) with some of his birds. Ralph Duren, talented bird caller, kept the audience enthralled with his  witty and amazing bird call program.  (Wonder if he would go into the woods come spring, do the calls for Black -throated Blue Warbler and maybe Hooded and either call them up or we could count them anyway.) This guy is amazing.

  The audience was so attentive during the movie, one could see no movement at all.
  I am sure the sell-out crowd of 1200 plus left the theatre with a much deeper appreciation of  birds and maybe even birders.I was amazed to see  the good-looking college age couple sitting next to me read the entire Conservation Dept pamphlet (the yellow one)  from cover to cover before the program began. 'Course maybe they were having a lover's spat and weren't talkin' to one another.

  Much appreciation should  be  extended to the Columbia Audubon group, Jean Leonatti especially, for all their work making the evening a truly inspiring and even educational event.

  Anne and Donald Downing
  Edina, Knox County