Mid-Missouri birders:

Having scrubbed a planned trip to western Kansas next week, but still having Tuesday available, Gary Johnson and I are wanting to go to some different places in Missouri Tuesday, looking for COMAL birds. I am familiar with Swan Lake, Pershing S.P., Fountain Grove, Grass Pass and Van Meter, but I have yet to go to Eagle Bluffs. Likewise, I have not been to the Big Muddy area, Bradford Farms, the latest version of Overton Bottoms or any good dickey bird areas (other than Van Meter) usually visited by the Columbia crowd. I'd appreciate suggestions as to where we might go if we take I-70  and head east on Tuesday.

Target birds would be:

Fall warblers and flycatchers.

Good shore birds (We have both seen Buff-breasted this year, however, so we probably will skip the sod farms.)

Unusual waders, rails, etc. (I have Virginia and Sora and C. Moorhen, but I think Gary needs one or two of them. I am embarassed to say it, but I still need Cattle Egret).

Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow (I remember that there were several on Steve Kinder's Yellow Rail Walk at Swan Lake last summer. Does anyone have a hot spot nearer to the I-70 corridor?).

We plan to leave at 7:00 a.m., and can probably be at a dickey bird area with owl tape by 9:00 a.m.

If you have some ideas, let me know on line if it is of general interest, off line if it is not.

Thanks.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri